Healthy living: A change of heart
Your heart is in your hands – take the time to care for your most important organ by maintaining a healthy diet and educating yourself about heart healthy food and cholesterol management.
The beat goes on and on, but how aware of our hearts are we? It’s only when that beat stops, that we realise that our hearts are our life and the key to our livelihood. Our hearts pump blood throughout our bodies – they are the crucial life force that gives us either a good quality of life or a poor quality of life. That’s why we want to remind you just how important your heart is to your health.
10 Easy Tips for Improved Heart Health:
1. If you are a smoker, give it up – This is the single best thing to do to keep your heart healthy.
2. Get active – Not only will this help your heart, but it also assists in relieving stress and boosting your mood!
3. Manage your weight – Maintain a balanced, healthy diet that’s low in saturated fats and sugar, and high in cholesterol-lowering foods.
4. Eat more fibre – Aim for at least 30 g of fibre a day.
5. Cut down on saturated fat – Cholesterol levels rise when you eat saturated fats, increasing your risk of heart disease.
6. Eat your 5 a day – Aim to eat at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables daily – they are high in fibre, vitamins and minerals.
7. Cut down on salt – Salt can significantly increase blood pressure and, as a result, we shouldn’t eat more than a teaspoon of salt a day.
8. Eat more fish – Omega 3 fats are good for your heart health and are found in oily fish like salmon, fresh tuna, sardines and mackerel.
9. Drink less alcohol – often we forget that alcohol contains calories, so if you overdo it, your heart is sure take strain.
10. Read the food labels – Stay informed and know exactly what you are putting into your body.
Your heart is the centre of your cardiovascular system, and the foods that you eat can dramatically effect this sensitive environment within your body. That’s why we believe in a healthy and balanced lifestyle that supports vitality, energy and happiness!
Looking for heart healthy recipes? Try this one (link: http://www.florastrongheart.co.za/tasty-recipes/pan-fried-fish-fillets/)