Unilever’s global brightFuture campaign is aimed at improving the lives of millions of people and preserving the environment in order to create a brighter future for the children of the world.
As part of the local campaign, Unilever felt that the donation of the mini bus (a Nissan Impendulo NV350) would be one way that they could assist the school to provide better opportunities for the pupils. This bus will be used to transport pupils to sporting events, school excursions and other events that will add great value to their schooling experience.
“We are extremely excited and thankful to Unilever for their contribution to our school and filling a much-needed gap. In the past we would have to hire a bus to transport our learners to sporting events, which came at a cost. With transport now available, I believe that more learners will be encouraged to participate in sports,” said Gordon Primary School Acting Principal, Sizwe Mahlambi.
Unilever will soon begin piloting a brightFuture health and hygiene schools programme in 31 schools nationwide and Gordon Primary will be one of the first to benefit from the experience.
At the bus handover, Unilever South Africa Chairman, Peter Cowan said, “The Gordon Primary School is a glowing example of the many schools identified for future partnership opportunities that are committed to creating a learning environment where the learners have to worry only about nourishing their minds and unlocking their potential. The mini-bus is a small token of our appreciation for the hard work and efforts that the principal, the governing body and the community has put into making sure that this school is one where we nurture the country’s future.”
About Unilever brightFuture
The “brightFuture” campaign is intended to engage people, especially future leaders.
- We believe in a BRIGHTER FUTURE where every child in South Africa can grow up healthy and happy.
- Where healthy hearts and stimulated, confident minds flourish.
- Where no child goes to bed hungry and every parent has the opportunity to provide a warm meal.
- Where preventable diseases are prevented and every child lives past their 5th birthday.
- We believe we can live well without stealing resources from future generations.
- We don’t have all the answers, but we’ve started a journey and we invite you to join us.